Soda is the most-consumed beverage in the U.S. This is frightening because soda is a severe health hazard. Soft drinks increase the risk of obesity, kidney and heart problems, and stroke, to name but a few.
The solution? Water.
Yes, I know, good ole H2O is not sexy.
You might say that it is downright boring.
But water is only boring because we fail to contemplate the awesomeness this wonder drink provides. Consider:
- Water doesn’t taste like liver, brussels sprouts, tripe or kimchi and contains no calories, fat, carbohydrates, partially-hydrogenated oil, MSG or sugar.
- Almost every cell in the body requires water to function properly. Water helps transport nutrients, regulate body temperature and digest food.
- Numerous studies show a positive correlation between water consumption and weight loss.
- Water flushes out skin toxins, making skin look healthier, and can reduce acne.
- Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of dehydration. Water will revitalize you, help you feel more alert and aid in concentration and focus. Studies have shown that even slight dehydration (1-2% less than optimal hydration) can depress your mood and interfere with your ability to think clearly.
- Water provides pain relief. Aching joints, muscle cramps, strains and sprains all occur much less frequently when you are optimally hydrated.
- Water intake helps prevent sickness, and drinking water shortens the duration of many illnesses. Headaches and migraines are often caused by dehydration. Research has found that drinking more water reduced the duration and intensity of headaches.
- Water helps lessen bad breath by keeping your mouth moist and diluting unsavory oral bacteria.
There are actually many more cool things this wonder drink does for you. But do you really need more? Next time you are tempted to drink a soda or beer, chug some water instead. Make it your routine to drink a couple glasses first thing each morning.
Let’s all work together to kick soda out of the number one spot and make wonder water the most-consumed beverage in the U.S. and the world. Our bodies, minds, hearts, kidneys, skin, muscles, joints, mouths and weight scales will all thank us.