Cracks, potholes, depressions, ruts, ripples and upheavals are all terms used by asphalt professionals to describe negative conditions in the state of a road.
Notice how many of these terms we have borrowed to describe negative conditions in our emotional life.
We have each been presented with beautiful roads in life — full of lush scenery and fulfilling experiences — if we care to perceive our road that way.
Many of us, though, see our road dotted with potholes, filled with ruts and ripples, and spiderwebbed with cracks. We grumble about the multitude of upheavals in our road, but fail to see – or admit – that we are the reason our road is bumpy. It soon becomes easier to patch the holes in our road with self-deceptive delusions rather than simply and easily taking responsibility for the condition of our road. We look everyplace except inside ourselves, and find fault with everything except ourselves.
Our first great step is to candidly look inside and recognize that we are creating our own bumpy road. That realization will help us stop trying to to ‘fix’ our road by blaming others, events and situations for our bumpy ride. We soon recognize that when we fill our life with forgiveness and gratitude, all the perceived cracks, potholes and upheavals level themselves away. In truth, we created them all in the first place.
In any area of life where you experience potholes, ruts, upheavals or depression, you might try running through the items below. Perhaps you will find a more peaceful and fulfilling path.
- Accept responsibility for your lack of peace and acknowledge that you may choose to have peace of mind in this moment.
- Acknowledge that your lack of peace is not due to someone, or an event or situation, external to you. Identify the negative emotion(s) you are feeling and acknowledge to yourself it is not the negative event but your internal reaction to that event that has brought about the negative emotions you are feeling.
- Do not judge or condemn yourself for feeling as you do, just acknowledge the emotions and the reason(s) you have created the/se emotion(s)
- Accept that there are alternative ways to perceive this situation.
- Choose to see the situation as an opportunity to grow, to learn, to forgive, to express gratitude, and a way of practicing how to choose peace of mind for yourself.
- Offer gratitude for this awesome experience, of finding peace of mind where you previously would have created obstructions and chaos in your road.
- Forgive yourself and everyone and everything involved in the situation.